Friday, September 1, 2017

My Favorite Art Quilt Videos - Off the Wall Friday

Ahhhhhh, its back to school time and its one of the busiest times a year in our house...even with Tessa being in her second year of college!!  (Seriously, how did that happen!?!)  I've been busy on my quest to finish off my pile of "Almost Done" pieces, which while not very "bloggable" is very much needed!!  I promised myself that I would not set off on another creative road until I at least finished the paths I've already taken!!

While I've been finishing up some of my quilts, I listen to  my favorite podcasts, and watch my favorite quilt/art videos.  It keeps my mind busy while my hands do all the work!

I'm sure some of these  you might know or recognize - Some you might have watched - Some maybe art new!!  But I thought I would share just in case. . . . .


The Art of Quilting - Wisconsin Public Television
  I love this video.  I've watched  it more than once always getting inspiration and also empathizing with the artists.  I always think - OMGosh!! Me too!!!  It has highlights from Quilt National, Art Quilts of Philadelphia, and the Chicago School of Fusing Members.



QNN (Quilters News Network)

Although this is a sample of their pay for view service, they still keep a  lot of great videos on their channel including Quilting Arts and some other PBS shows.  I never quite know what's going to show up here!

Ted Talks on Creativity

Am I the only one who thinks these people are smart?  I love hearing them and I listen to them over
and over!

National Quilters Circle

Need a refresher on all things quilt?  Check out this channel!!  There is a TON of good basic quilt information on here - including a great video on needles.  Just a treasure trove of useful tips!!

The Art Assignment

Looking for catch up with contemporary Art in America??  Here is a weekly series that explores art history through what is happening today through out the country.  LOVE it!!

Various Art Museum Channels 

Need inspiration?  Want to visit art museums without leaving your couch?!  Here is the link for you!  On this list is a BUNCH of different museums and videos they produced.  What's on your bucket list?



Smarthistory - Art, History, Conversation

Want to catch up on some art history in an engaging way?  Try this channel.  Its like you having a conversation with a professor of art - right there where art is!!  They have enough meat to them to be totally educational but not long enough to be too boring or dry!







So I'm not advocating you ditching  your sewing machine to veg out on the couch with your laptop. . .  BUT if you do find yourself wanting a little visual stimulation or inspiration - give these a try.








Do you have any suggestions for me to try?


4 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

Thank you for all the you tube recommendations! I like to watch videos or tv shows on my iPad while sewing so these are perfect! Right now I am binge watching a Pbs show called " a place to call home" it is soooo good. The only place I could find it to watch from the beginning I'd acorn TV which is a subscription service like Netflix but well worth the 7 bucks to watch 4 seasons. If you liked Dowton abbey you will love this.

susan hemann said...

thank you for your recommendations!

Margaret said...

I don't own a TV so I rely on internet programming. I am a regular subscriber to The Quilt Show (a wonderful blend of art and traditional quilters featured) with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson. I also watch Craft in America over and over and over again -- almost every episode has a textile snippet -- quilting and weaving especially -- but there's also lots on Being An Artist, and Design, and Marketing. Wonderful program!

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Nina Marie, thanks so much for sharing these videos. I just spent the last couple of hours watching The Art of Quilting by Wisconsin Public Television. What a treasure! I'll be checking out all of your suggestions.